Saturday, May 13, 2006

Snipers

According to the DISC personality test, because I am a super "S" type - I have learnt to cope with my environment by learning to be more objective and rational over people. I swear - that is a big challenge in the face of sniper-type personalities - you know, the kind who cannot resist giving you all their snipey little barbed, bullets of the day. Never fails to bring a good mood down to earth.

Is it a uniquely Singaporean social greeting to make comments about one's appearance? Like "You look very tired/haggard/fat/wierd etc." Whatever happened to just courteously asking after someone's general well-being or family?

The response that always runs in my head is - Oh gee, thanks for pointing it out! I wouldn't have been able to guess. I mean hello, if the person looks tired, he probably knows that he looks it and does not need you to unceremoniously point out how big his eyebags are, or how paunchy he is looking etc.

Of course, the silly part is, I know I have done that to people myself. Its like this horrible mechanism that pops into play - before you know it, you have said the dreaded words, "Oh wow....you look (Fill in the uncomplimentary blank)" ARGH. You have crossed over to the dark side before you know it.

Ok, must repent from planks of primary forest in my eye.

Must consciously say in head, whenever feel tempted to make 'evil comments' about someone's appearance, must replace with 'more encouraging comment' or better yet, just not comment at all.

The tongue! It is such a little monster!

2 comments:

Mooms said...

You know, I was JUST griping to Byron about the same thing this morning - you can't imagine the kind of stoopid comments I got after I gave birth, like "wah! how come u look so haggard!", or "How come you still haven't lost all your weight?". Like, HELLOOOO .. I just pushed out a watermelon! When you do the same then come and tell me how great you look.

neonangel said...

ya man. We must think of appropriate responses to stop this evil culture of stupid comments. :)

Perhaps we should give other party a remorseful look and say,"I don't know....perhaps its the sins of the fathers revisted on generation after generation. Sister/Brother, can we get down on our knees and pray for my redemption?"

haha. oh evil. evil tongue...sit! play dead!...good tongue.