Friday, August 25, 2006

I love my new G5



Last week I finally caved in on 2 years of waiting and bought a new Mac - I am now typing this on my disgustingly beautiful, hedonistic-looking 20 inch G5 desktop. Ahhhhhhh so satisfying. :) I have been masochistically walking in to AppleCentre everytime a new Mac is released, thinking to myself, "This time I will buy it. This time I will buy it."The last Mac I bought was was beloved, second-hand, war-battered G4 Powerbook in 2001 (which I bought for a ridiculously cheap price). It has been hanging on to its last legs together with its elder brother, my G4 PowerMac desktop I got in 2000.

I swore to myself that 2006 would be the year of reckoning: if the school was doing better than I expected, and if I worked hard, I deserved to get a new Mac for Christmas. By March, it looked like a shoe-in. My partner in school rolled her eyes when I mentioned this, and said, "If you already know you are going to buy one at the end of the year, then why don't you just buy it now?"

So here I am, staring with great pleasure at something I have waited so long for. I think its the story of my life.
I think I just like that concept: Good things come to those who wait.
Somehow it makes the thing so much sweeter.

btw, the fact that the new Macs have Intel chips that allow them to reboot as Windows XP? SaAHHHHHHH-WEET.
It feels a little wrong to see Gates' software on Jobs' machine but if it allows me to play Tomb Raider, all power to the Gates!

A Good Book I am Reading Now (courtesy of pretty Photobooth function on G5):
God Talk - Cautions For Those Who Hear God's Voice by Ruth Tucker
very interesting read on how so many of us in Church misunderstand or abuse the term "God spoke to me", "God wants me to..."
I have not reached the conclusion yet but I think it's a pretty honest look at a phenomenon not many of us address in church.
I like it that she specifies the potential stumbling blocks for both the 'Spirit-led' Pentecostals and the 'Word-led' Evangelicals.

No comments: