Thursday, April 28, 2005

the motorcycle diaries

so i rode my first motorbike today.

whoohoo! And it was cool!

post Urban Infest meeting, FundraiserMan sees me trying to flag down taxi and coasts towards me on his Yamaha, saying "ay, wanna lift?" I did not know recognise him so for a split second I thought he was some cheekopeh being funny.

After split second, 2 thoughts stood up in my little brain:
1) yay! get a free ride home!
2) crap! it's on a motorbike!
I have NEVER ridden a motorbike before and I have walked past MANY motorbike accidents. But through a mix of spur of the moment curiosity, politeness and cheapo-ness, i said, "yeah, that will be great!" I completely outed myself as a motorbike newbie by asking stupid things like how to strap on the helmet and how to get on the motorbike and whether it was easier if i held onto his shoulders or his waist.

I think I must have been pretty nervous during the ride because FundraiserMan told me a couple of times, "ay just relax and enjoy the ride. Don't worry." So, gripping his shoulder one iota less tensely, I did. And it was kinda great just feeling the wind rush by and looking at the people in cars and realising how contained and safe they looked in their air-com boxes. So THAT'S what motorbikers think of people in cars... talk about new perspectives.

top 3 thoughts in my head as we whizzed by nicoll highway:
1) "man this is cool"
2) "if there is an accident, hope my laptop does not get smashed into bits."
(ya thought of laptop came before thoughts of own life. go figure)
3) "God just checking: you will keep me safe right? Not my time to die yet right? my life is in your hands ya?"

:) when i finally set my feet again on terra firma, FundraiserMan very amusedly asked if i was ok. I must have left dents on his shoulder or something. I answered lamely, "oh yeah, i'm fine. That was really interesting!"

But yeah, motorbikes are cool.

That's another first to chalk up in 2005. FIrst time I got on a motorbike. whee!

1 comment:

neonangel said...

sadly, despite the cool factor of a motorbike, neonangel will remain a public transport chick for a longtime. Taxis are best friends and SBS buses rock my world. cos they let me catch up on sleep, reading and sms-ing.

i shall practice resistance to motorcycles. scully go rome and then see cute Italian guy on cool Vespa. then how like that?