Saturday, September 16, 2006

"He takes us as we are but does not leave us as we are"


I just wanted to blog. primarily to remember that line in the conversation.

++++

Under the light fall of stray raindrops, with the bright glare of a spotlight from a corner window
over bowls of over-sweet Rochor bean curd, we talked about what it means to follow Christ.

B was worried that he would never be sincere enough to become a Christian. Earnestly worried and deeply troubled by how hard God was pursuing him, he wondered, "How can I ever be genuine enough to pray to God? I have no face to meet him."

I groped for words adequate to express how I felt about it and said,"It's true and that's the sincerest thing we can tell God - I am sorry. I have no face to meet you. I am an awful piece of crap. and I need you."

R piped up with her sweet voice,"God takes us as we are."

I followed with,"God takes us as we are....but He does not leave us as we are. That is His grace to us."

B sat thoughtfully and mused,"I don't know how to pray though."

Glad that Jesus himself taught us how to pray then in Matthew 6, we shared the Lord's Prayer with B.

It's a beautiful prayer that says everything that matters to a tired heart, weary with longing for perfection.

"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one."

No matter how lousy I feel about myself, I can rest knowing that He gives me daily strength and deliverance.

God, thank you for taking me as I am. Thank you more for not leaving me as I am.

I need to remember tonight's words more often. :)

No comments: