Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Return of a Friend


me
Originally uploaded by neonangel.
Yesterday, though I least expected it - God healed me from a old but nagging wound in the heart. The healing of this 4 year old ache did not take more than a simple minute, over a cheap $3.50 lunch, with a simple sentence - that is the power and profundity of God. That is His mysterious, strange timing.

I have mourned the loss of a very good friend for 4 years - though I tried hard to forgive, to be the better person, to be godly, to be wise, to be strong, to move on and seemed to succeed, I remained incredibly pained by it. I could not understand how our friendship could have meant nothing after all we had been through. Though we still kept in amiable contact, spotted with a few meaningful conversations here and there, BestFriend was only 20% present. BF always felt really faraway, like a curtain had been drawn between us forever.

I resented the distance. I knew what was the right thing to do - Love God, Love my Neighbour with superhuman intensity beyond understanding - but it still caused me heartache to have to do it. By God's gracious ministry, I was not embittered by the pain. But I often ached at the thought of how long it was going to remain in me with all my other questions. Why did I have to keep being the one who reached out? Why should I care in a friendship where I was not sure I was being cared for right back?

"I have always noticed when you were sad and lonely. I am sorry for not being there when you needed me most." Some old hurt just slipped out of me, as if it was nothing more than a thin scarf to be pulled off in a tug. Can a sincere apology have that much power?

"You know what - you are still my best friend." I needed those words more than I knew. A small weight vanished from within , as if it had been nothing more than smoke.

Sitting there and staring at my old best friend talk to me with 100% presence back in full force, I was literally shell-shocked. I had gotten so used to operating at the level BF had set in those 4 years. Suddenly, our friendship was back in full force - the familiarity, the ease, the back and forth, the level of giving, the unsaid assurance of full trust in Christ under everything we said. It was a miracle from heaven. I never knew how little I expected this day to happen until it did.

"I can't believe it. It feels....like a new chapter. Almost like the end of ... a saga."

"I know."
_______________________________

At night, I started thinking of how strangely grateful I am that God allowed me to feel such depths of pain and sadness in the past 4 years. In allowing me to become brutally honest with my heart's suffering, I have grown year by year in my dependence on His wisdom and hence in my ability to empathise, in my desire to reach out, in my boldness to break out of fear that comes from Loving people His way.

Without understanding pain, I would never have understood joy. WIthout tasting turmoil and unrest, I would have never loved peace. Without teaching me loss, I would have never longed so hard to find.

Though the past 4 years had not changed my circumstances in any tangible sense, I knew in the intangible realm, I was soaring. I was growing. Every year was a year of genuine gratefulness, deeper joy, stranger peace - even though pain was always muted but present.

"Though i walk through valleys low, I will fear no evil.
By the waters, still my soul, my heart will trust in you."

'My Heart WIll Trust' from some old HIllsongs album was one of the songs that brought me through the worst of the 4 melancholy years. I love it because it recalls my favourite Psalm 23 - The Lord is my Shepherd.

The words of that Psalm may have been cross-stitched, wood-burnt, curliculed to death by a million ridiculous, cheesy Christian paraphenalia makers but nothing can dim the Truth of its message - in a fallen world, a valley of where the shadow of death looms over every little thing that we do, somehow He will help us find those quiet waters, those green pastures.

Even better, even subtler - By telling us He will comfort us with the rod of justice and the staff of love, He shows us He knows we are in mourning. The Lord does not deny we are in pain. He assures us that it is okay to feel sad, it is okay to mourn and feel hurt. We do not need to pretend it is easy to be godly or that we need to pretend to be happy all the time to be an example of mature Christianity.

In His timing, He will bring healing and peace into our fractured lives: first in profound but intrinsically incomplete forms on earth; later, more importantly in full completion as HIs Kingdom comes.
For a far better exposition on this, read Dr Larry Cobb's brilliant Inside Out. I think anyone who is looking for a honest breakthrough in their Christian maturity should give it a go - it deals very wisely with the truth of how foolish, thirsty Christians can come to grips with their long search for healing, and for inner and outer integrity. If you ever wanted to know how your ungodly ways can be changed through God, and are tired of easy answers from over-smiley christian writers who tire you out with their naivete, or sick of smarmy Pharisees who think change happens when youjust run the gamut of a million rules of Christian Living, this is a great, great Godly book. The packaging of the book may make you scream "Christian Psychobabble Self-Help!!!!! Ewwwww" but trust me, the book is worth getting over your prejudices.

Meanwhile.....Hallelujah and praise the God of the Impossible.

I have found my BestFriend again. : )

It's not a miracle on the Richter scale of the parting of the Red Sea, but it sure feels like a miracle to me.

5 comments:

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Neon,

Your post is a comfort to me as I resent that I always seemed to have to always make the first move to bridge barriers (God, if unity in You is so important, why can't you make her come to me? Why must I always be the one to risk possible rejection?), and your 'I resented the distance' also sounds achingly familiar.

Looking through your second portion where you shared how you've grown as He led you through each valley, somehow the song 'Refiner's Fire' came into my mind. It is assuring to be reminded as I read that our Purifier is fully in charge of the furnace, ensuring the heat is neither too hot nor cold and that one day, He'll see His image in the pure gold of our hearts - a timely reminder as I go through my current circumstances.

It also looks like I've got one more book in my 'To Buy' list.

neonangel said...

heya Carpe

the rejection, 'resenting distance' thing is something I fight with all the time. I recognise part of it comes from the specific way I relate to people and want people to relate to me. I want open sharing and initiative, I desire a high level of willingness to be transparent. But I learnt to recognise not everyone operates at that level or not everyone is put in a place in their lives where they can operate at that capacity.

The most loving thing to do - coincidentally the most sanity preserving thing to do - is just to be patient, gentle, kind and not delight in evil but rejoice with the truth.

While we love regardless of rejection, we must wisely learn how to look at where our resentment comes from with honesty, We must also be brave enough to talk to our friends so that they can understand how best the two of us can operate so that Christ's love can be made manifest in our relationship.

Resentment is a nasty thing and we cannot afford to let it take root in our hearts, even if it comes disguised with outward piety.

God is amazing. :) He is working within you and me through His Spirit. I cannot fathom how but that Higher Conscience within that pushes and pulls you in your everyday decisions, that BIgger Voice that chastises your own inner voice, is a sign of His power to me.

Stay on course - He is faithful and keeps HIs promises. In HIs KIngdom Come, we will finally know what it is to have the robe of righteousness.

yeah buy the book! would love to talk to you about what you think about it. I never seriously thought about a Christian perspective on psychology until I read Crabb. :)

pearlywhirls said...

i believe in miracles too. esp in the arena of friendships :) touched by how God worked in your life, neonangel! He IS amazing, isnt He? :):)

neonangel said...

redbean: heehee. as you can see God can save me from many things but not bad spelling and punctuation. I need the eagle eyes of O.C., MooMan and Dust - crafters of the most succinct, grammatically correct blogs. :)

pearly: You BETCHA bippy God is cool. He just beats everything by ten million miles of coolness. :)

Anonymous said...

though not in the same way, but I felt your pain. After almost five year, by God's grace, a long painful experience had finally came to a closure recently. However, my heart still aches and my tears still float when I talk about it... friendship needs to be taken by great care, once damage is done, there's no turning back.
I'm happy for you to find your best friend again.