Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Art of the Start

Have just finished reading Guy Kawasaki's fabulous new book called The Art of the Start. For the uninitiated (and I was, before I picked up the book), Guy Kawasaki is a managing director of Garage Technology Ventures, an early-stage venture capital firm and a columnist for Forbes.com. Previously, he was an Apple Fellow at Apple Computer, Inc. where he was one of the individuals responsible for the success of the Macintosh computer.

The book is a killer read, punchy level-headed advice and very humourous. To quote the man himself: "This book is a weapon of mass construction. My goal was to provide the definitive guide for anyone starting anything...The book is as relevant for two guys in a garage starting the next Google as social activists trying to save the world. GIST: cuts through the theoretical crap, theories and gets down to the real-world tactics of pitching, positioning, branding, recruiting, bootstrapping, and rainmaking."

ANYHOW, even if books about starting up cool stuff is not your cup of tea, here is his infamous Palo Alto High School baccalaureate speech (PDF: 76KB). It has cost parents thousands of dollars, so read it at your own risk. Very funny stuff....

"Speaking to you today marks a milestone in my life. I am 40 years old. 22 years ago, when I was in your seat, I never, ever thought I would be 40 years old.

The implications of being your speaker frightens me. For one thing, when a 40 year old geezer spoke at my baccalaureate ceremony, he was about the last person I’d believe. I have no intention of giving you the boring speech that you are dreading. This speech will be short, sweet, and not boring.

I am going to talk about hindsights today. Hindsights that I’ve accumulated in the 20 years from where you are to where I am. Don’t blindly believe me. Don’t take what I say as “truth.” Just listen. Perhaps my experience can help you out a tiny bit...."

No comments: