Monday, February 21, 2005

She Hates My Futon

I remember reading this little online novel called She Hates My Futon in 2000. The series is well-written in a very light hearted, High Fidelity kind of way. The snippet I am putting here is clean but more conservative readers should be warned that series has R(A) bits. Otherwise its a fun, trashy but yes, definitely secular read. :)

tonight's "beautiful/ugly" conversation made me think of this little bit again:
_______________________________________________

she hates my futon by Craig Mitchell

"I pause. Some guy is doing half the speed limit in front of me, driving one of those lame boxy sport jeeps. I look for a gap to get my green car around him. From time to time the passing street lights briefly illuminate the inside of my car and despite the fact I'm driving, I can't help glancing over at the passenger seat whenever I get the chance.

She's beautiful. And I should clarify that statement: not beautiful in a Pamela Anderson or Christy Turlington way. That's traditional beauty. That's obvious beauty. That's unnecessary breast enlargement, unnaturally dark tan, too much makeup, way too skinny, and cookie-cutter facial features. Dawn's is a different kind of beauty. I don't know how I'd describe it.

She's… she's… how do I say this? She's... oddly beautiful. You know what I mean? She's fairly attractive from the word go. Ask a friend what they think of her and you'll get a "not bad" or "she's kind of cute." But sit next to her in an all-green car with the passing street lights casting an occasional glimmer of light across the dash and her face and notice the way she smiles, and the way she laughs and the way she plays with her hair from time to time when she's answering a question and suddenly she's more beautiful than any supermodel is ever capable of being. Because she's real. Because she has flaws. Because she's a few pounds overweight and doesn't attempt to hide it.

That's beautiful if you ask me. That's what beauty is all about. "

No comments: