Monday, March 14, 2005

CEWTTK - Five Loaves, Two Fishes of a talent

My insurance agent/financial advisor has recently morphed into my accountability partner / non-profit consultant by sheer meddling of the Holy Spirit.

we had initially met up to set up a investment account....being both christian, we usually begin our "work" meetings with updates on what is happenign at both our churches and cell groups. He is from shalala-ing charismatic circles, me from sober Presby. Anyhoo, I was sharing about my traumatising attempts to teach weak, unmotivated students as well as my humbling, fumbling attempts to draft the first proper business plan of my short life. He gets all excited about the business plan thingee especially because of the christian-y/ social activist aspects of the business i wish to set up.

WIth typical Charismatic enthusiasm, he got me to pray with him about it before he started attacking my "To DO' list and formatting a timeline of goals for me to achieve. ANyone who knows me, knows I abhor numbers, scary timelines and crap...I am NOT an operations minded person so it was gratifying (and scary) to have someone map it out for me. In short, now i have a semi ready made road map sent from God through my insurance agentt. haha who knew.

FUnny part is that in our discussion, my agent gets hit by a wierd realisation from God himself. He has been asking himself all along what ministry to be involved in at church. Through preparing my plan, he literally gets struck (kid you not, he literally clutched his shirt front) with the uncomfortable thought that he was meant to minister to difficult youth within his church.

Now youth ministry to him is as much of a "WAH LAU EH - CRAP!" as operations/ numbers are to me. So it was payback, Holy Spirit style - i was supposed to make sure he called his church and committed to youth ministry while he made sure i kept to my timetable for business plan. He was just as freaked by his call to ministry as i was freaked by my call to bring my school to where it ought to be.

sigh. god is good. but scary.
humbling so humbling. I feel more and more like jesus' disciples who ran after him saying "How lord? HOw can 5 loaves and 2 fishes feed 5000??? you Mad ah!"

yet i am expected to raise my meagre talent to heaven, break it, give thanks for it and somehow watch the multiplication happen.

Man......I wish I could fast forward to the future. I dont have a clue how to make things happen today. But DIE DIE must try.

bugger.

Big lesson learnt this week:
The one thing scarier than never knowing what you are supposed to do with your life...
...is knowing what to do and having to actually be bold enough to finish it.

No comments: